Wednesday, May 25, 2005

"Are kids gettin smarter or am I getting dumber??"

Challenges come in shapes big and small,something i have come to believe a short while ago...I jus love kids,everything about them: their innocence,cuteness,pranks,constant giggles...So when my youngest cousin,(she s about seven and incredibly cute),wanted to play scrabble with me,I thought I ll play along,not wanting to see her cry.....So here i was,sitting with a tiny kid,a scarbble board in between us...

This kid,as my family recalls is by far the most brainy of the lot(which includes 8 of us)...Anyways, what do I care,she s still a kidddd,and i (whose currently prep for his gre) were gonna play scrabble...She aksed me to start,and i went about makin this word "SHADE",which is not bad considering it would be the last five letter which I would ever make(yea go ahead laugh,scrabble can be a tough game you know...sniff sniff)...

When her turn came up,I reached across to help her out,she jus shooooed me away,pushing away my arms; I was like "yeah,whatever kiddo,good luck"....she,then,quite easily makes the word "DEN"....After which we quickly make a couple of more words,and all of a sudden it jus dawns upon me,that there was a match at hand...

Being her first game ever,she still hadn't comprehended the nuances of scrabble;like when you are about to make a word, it should not end up making non sense when seen with the adjacent words...So when she tried making "AND", I told her "sweetie u cant make that word cos you see the ' D ' clashes witht the letter ' M ' and 'DM' doesnt make sense"... I was like "gotcha", finally I thought I had slowed her down....Totally unperturbed,she tells me 'Okay I ll just remove the 'D' and make the word 'AN', that makes sense right".....Arrrghhhh kids these days...


After 20 minutes she'd gone ahead to make words like goose,tree,tea and a couple of other reallllly nice words...On the other end,I had come up with words such as toe,toy,hen,ant and some really silly words...Finally i said i was feeling sleepy,an excuse to end the pitiful run.....

Next time around I think i ll jus stick to pillow fights,thumb wrestling or stone,paper,scissors(which by the way she s got an uncanny ability to beat me)....Here s a pic of me an Malvika(thats her name,we call her malu at home)....


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

8 Comments:

Blogger anubhav said...

i agree scrabble can be a tough game at times....

nice pic..

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

saiii,,,, i soo enjoyed reading this blog da.. i miss maals so much.. man shes so grown up .. and yeah, btw,I am the brightest of the lot! And this pic is sooo cuteeeee... such a coincidence,, we were just mulling over the same topic a few days ago.. I couldnt have said this any better(considering Iam the brightest and all).. This blog made very interesting read!
--gayu

1:30 PM  
Blogger Ramses said...

cute cuz...lucky to have such a cuz!!
hmm...kids r surely gettin brainier..thses days!

12:48 AM  
Blogger a_beautifulmind said...

great post...reminded me its long since i played scrabble...came here thru anubhav's blog...enjoyed reading it...
your cousin is cute :-)

11:56 AM  
Blogger ESIH said...

Nice post..your cuz..she looks cute..:)

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol! really enjoyed reading this one. cool post and a great snap!
ShRi

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too cute...mals is jus too good!!
-radhixx

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the kid's darn cute!!

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home